Okay, I’m not particularly great at putting recipes up on here. Perhaps then, this may lead you to believe I’m not a culinary genius? Alas, you would be mistaken!! Hmm, Actually, genius is probably a little bit too much of an ambitious description, but still……
The truth is, having lived with Coeliac Disease for 10 odd years, preparing & cooking gluten free meals, snacks & other yummies is somewhat second nature to my routine. It hadn’t occurred to me, that sharing these may be of some use to others, who find themselves in similar Gluten-avoidance circumstances.
Although eating out in restaurants presents a whole host of dietary dilemmas, Pizza Express & Zizzi score at the top of my ‘Gluten free Restaurants’. (I’m sorry, I know they’re not overly glam) They both serve (amongst other options) heavenly pizza, BUT they don’t have dough balls or bread sticks, which is a massive boo-boo. Hence, prompting me to experiment……..
What you’ll need:
- 250g of Gluten Free Bread flour (I use Dove’s Farm)
- A teeny tiny bit of salt (literally ¼ tsp)
- 1 tsp Quick yeast (make sure its GF, like this one)
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 160ml Warm Milk (To make Dairy Free, use almond milk)
- ½ tsp Vinegar
- 1 Egg
- 3 tbsp of Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp mixed herbs
A couple of mixing bowls, Greaseproof paper, & a Baking Tin. An oven might help too……
Makes: Depending on the size of your sticks/ dough balls, a starter for 2-4 people.
- Mix the flour, salt, yeast & sugar together
- In a large bowl whisk the egg, milk & vinegar.
- Add the flour & mix into a sticky dough
- Continue mixing adding the oil
- Remove the dough & place in a oiled or greaseproof paper lined tray, cover & leave to rise for 30/ 45 mins
- Roll into sticks/ balls, bake in a pre-heated oven, 200-220ºc/ gas mark 7, for approx. 20 minutes.
Quick Pesto Sauce (aka the pesto hack!)
This will leave those budding masterchefs amongst you raging, as there are no fresh basil leaves or pie nuts here. BUT this is super quick & doubly delish, so all is forgiven, yes?
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil (preferably basil or garlic infused olive oil) into a small glass dish
- Pop in 2 Frozen pesto cubes into the mix
- Chuck ‘em into the microwave on Full Power, for 30 seconds, stir, & pour over your bread sticks, or use as a dip for dough balls. Ta-Dah!!
I promise, I’ll make a conscious effort to take more pictures for future recipe posts. In the meantime, if you have any questions about gluten free food/ recipes etc., please feel free to hit me up with your questions & requests.
Have a scrummy week!